Friday, October 23, 2009

Fall is in the air

Yes, it is definitely fall in the NE and Midwest! The trees are amazing! This is quite the experience for a girl born in the flat plains of the Texas Panhandle where fall meant cottonpicking and ginning, new school clothes and early morning band practices. We left NY on Oct. 16 and headed to PA where we were met by snow and cold wind. Let's just say we were not too pleased to be driving on a long trip in such weather.

Our first evening out we stopped at the KOA in Erie, PA and preceded to set up for the night. As I was rolling out the slides I noticed a weird sound coming from the kitchen side slide and stopped the roll out. We had not done our usual checklist when we closed up that morning and had left the rug on the kitchen floor where it promptly gathered up under the slide and got stuck. UGH!! As we worked feverishly to undo the rug, it became very obvious that only a miracle would get it done without totally wrecking the wall the fridge was mounted in. I was just about at the end of all my patience so I sat numbly on the sofa while Curtis worked and tried different ideas for freeing it. As I sat there I began to pray for the Lord to make a miracle for us and allow us to get through the ordeal with as little damage to the coach as possible. After about 2 hours of me praying and Curtis working he decided he needed to cut as much of the rug away as possible. So he cut through the heavy braided rug with 2 pairs of scissors and his Swiss army knife. As he pulled away one section the rug began to unravel. PTL!! Our miracle was a reality as Curtis was able to very carefully unravel the remain rug under the slide. The only thing done was the facia pulled out but didn't break. As we were already going to the DVR factory to have some things done to the RV, we were able to get it fixed and miracle of miracles we were not charged!!

We have spent the last week here in Indiana's Amish country having adjustments and additions made as well as a few repairs done to the RV and truck. All this should make the towing and riding much easier and the new leveling system is amazing. So much easier to set up and take down now. Today we are having the truck suspension maxxed with airbags.

Our time here has been good even though costly. The pace here is much more laid back and it is quite something to share all the roads with horses and buggies and bikes. The foods are amazing, too. Lots of yummy baked goods and noodles with butter or gravies. I call it all the ultimate in comfort foods. I had a piece of coconut cream pie that rivaled my Mamaw's Wednesday night at an Amish restaurant. They used real whipping cream rather than meringue just like she did. MMMMM!!!! The farms are small but very productive it would appear. Lots of dairy and beef farms as well as corn, grain, pumpkins and squash acreage. The countryside is filled with red barn, white farmhouses and silos amidst the foliage of fall. It is breathtaking.

My patience has been stretched to almost the breaking point with all the tweaking being done to our rig but I am trying to keep my cool and letting God control it all rather than trying to do so myself. Seems like for a while I was losing that battle, but I am feeling more at ease now.
May He continue to give me grace and patience!



No comments:

Post a Comment