Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I did it!

After 40 years of Christmases and hearing how I should learn to make the dreaded anise cookies, I took a lesson from Grandma Chance and made some last night.  First of all the hardest thing about them it finding the anise oil, not extract, not the seeds, but the oil.  Paying dearly for the nasty stuff is the biggest outlay of time and effort.  I found that if you have a heavy duty mixer with a stand that can beat non stop for 60 minutes you can make the batter in no time.  I would hate to think what they were like to make when you had to hand beat the sugar and egg mixture for the hour.  Grandma and Grandpa keep their apartment so hot that with my cold I got overheated and almost fainted.  After getting the last of the cookies on the wax paper to air dry over night I started "losing my cookies"!!!  I told Curtis that I always knew that those cookies could only make you sick and they just proved my point.  Anyway, today about noon I picked up the finished baked cookies for Curtis to enjoy and enjoy he will like it or not.  I guess there is now no reason not to make them for the ones who like them but I will never bake them for myself.  Ugh! Just thinking about them makes me queasy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Kim, thanks for sending some Anise cookies to Texas. :>)

    Richard

    ReplyDelete