Monday, December 22, 2008

Winter

Today is the first day of winter, I believe, and true to its name the day has been cold and damp.  Our day was spent doing the mundane chores of life, laundry and grocery shopping, all in a light drizzly atmosphere of the Verde Valley of Arizona.  The usual Christmas crowds of shoppers were out today.  Most were cheerful or at least friendly, but there were the usual grumps, too.  While in the grocery aisles of Safeway I saw people huffing and puffing and scowling and even one old gent pushed me out of the way with his elbow as he passed not even saying "excuse me" in the process.  I really did not have the aisle blocked in any form or fashion, but I was in his way somehow.  Of course, I said "I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was in your way" and even smiled but all it got from him was a "hrumph" and on he went bullying his way down the next aisle.  I always wonder why some people are in such foul humors especially this time of year, but then I realize that they are more than likely that way all the time.  Christmas just brings out the worst in some.  Perhaps they don't like the hustle and bustle or perhaps their memories of Christmases past are hurtful or they miss their loved ones.  Mostly I think it is because they simply don't understand the whole point of Christmas.  I hope for each of us this year that we stop and remember the real reason of the season - the birth of our Saviour, Jesus Christ, who came as a babe to grow to manhood only to be crucified for our sins on that cross so long ago.  How can we remain grumpy or unhappy when we realize that God loved us (ME) enough to do that for us (ME)?  As you enter into the last few hours before that wonderful magical time called Christmas, take time to give thanks for that most wonderful gift of love and sacrifice ever.  Merry Christmas to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment