Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Growing Up

Our little puppy, Zeke, successfully graduated to his leash yesterday after his third puppy shot.  He can't quite get the hang of it yet, but that will come in time and with some patience on our part.  I have to admit my patience wore a bit thin yesterday, however.  The one thing that our previous dachshund did that drove me crazy was whine and cry when in the presence of other dogs or children, if he was not allowed to freely get to them.  Anytime we went to the vet's office or if we were walking outside with him while in San Francisco and dogs or children appeared, he would put up such a fuss it was embarrassing.  Well, it seems that Zeke has decided this is something he should also do!!!  By the time we got home yesterday, I had a raging headache from listening to him whine and my patience was taxed to the limit.  I really want to teach him that this is not acceptable so I hope I can withstand the effort.  He is doing well though for such a young pup.  He weighed in at 4.8 lb which is 13 oz over this last checkup.  He was a real trooper when it came to getting his shot as not so much as a whimper was made.  His personality is beginning to shine through also, a bit of stubbornness and strong will but really a cuddler, too.  I think he will grow into a delightful addition to our home and lifestyle.  

1 comment:

  1. I just dropped by after seeing your comment at "Random Laundry." I have another blogger friend (www.exileinportales) who calls Livingston, TX, home although he is currently parked in Portales, NM. I enjoyed reading about your puppy. I have a rat terrier that is my special dog. I don't envy you the puppy training, but hang in there.

    ReplyDelete